Proposal to organize two Regional Stakeholders’ Parliaments in South East and North East Zones was approved by Management.
1st Quarter Meeting of the Industry Working Group (IWG) on Multiple Taxations/Regulations Held On Monday 14th March, 2019, Lagos
The IWG is a platform used by relevant stakeholders to deliberate quarterly on issues relating to multiple taxation and regulation in the telecom industry. The 1st Quarterly meeting held on 14th March, 2019.
The meeting amongst others extensively deliberated on the following issues:
- The embargo placed on issuance of Right of Way permit to operators by Lagos State Infrastructure Maintenance and Regulatory Agency (LASIMRA);
- The incessant demand for payment of levies for certification from operators for building of new and existing BTS by Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA);
- The continuous demand by state Ministries of Environment for Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) certification and payment against the provision of the EIA Act;
- The continuous demand from operators by some state agencies on environmental hazards etc.
After the deliberations, it was resolved that:
- The Association of Licensed Telecom Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) should reconcile its records, review all the NCAA laws at its next meeting and demand for evidence of payment of owners of high-rise buildings across the country with a view to strengthen its position against tax discrimination;
- The Commission should invite the Director in charge of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) from the Federal Ministry of Environment to its Regional Stakeholder Parliament on Multiple Taxation and regulation;
- ALTON should review its position with respect to class action against State Government Agencies to avoid jurisdictional conflict;
- The Commission should write to Lagos State Government for its intervention on the embargo on Right of Way (RoW) by LASIMRA.