5G : CPN professionals say time is now to deploy 5G network 10 months after trials across 3 states in Nigeria as guesses are widespread regarding possible foreign pressure to stop the technology roll-out in Africa’s most populous country
IT News Nigeria
A professional group, Computer Professionals (Registration Council Of Nigeria) – CPN has said time is now to deploy 5G network after over 10 months trial of the network with Huawei technology in Nigeria.
A heavily worded communiqué signed by its President/Chairman-in-Council, Prof. Charles O. Uwadia and Registrar/Secretary to Council, Allwell C. Achumba, the Body said 5G deployment will bring about transformation in Nigeria in many areas including smart city, smart transportation, and efficiency in medicine as well as Internet of Things connectivity.
recalled, ahead of the anticipated 2020 launch of the Fifth Generation telecommunications services in Nigeria, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) on November 25, 2019, supervised the execution of the proof of concept trial of 5G telecom services by MTN Communications, a leading network operator in Nigeria.
US has continued to stampeded Huawei 5G network across the world where it has influence and it is not clear if Washington has pressured Abuja to delay or stop the Chinese giant in Nigeria.
CPN Commendations on 5G
In its virtual 2020 Assembly in July themed: “Adoption Of 5G in Nigeria: The Technological and Regulatory Challenges”, CPN said there is need to address all the misgivings, misinterpretations and misconceptions surrounding the issue of adoption and deployment of 5G network in Nigeria, according to the Keynote delivered by Engr. Deus Uche Osuji, General Manager, Network Services at MTN Nigeria.
CPN said it strongly recommended that:
The deployment of 5G in Nigeria is capable of fast tracking our economic growth and migrating us fully into a digital economy.
- Deployment of 5G in Nigeria has numerous advantages which include faster internet connection, smoother user experience and huge deployment of Information Technology to drive growth and development of industries.
- CPN is now recommending the adoption of 5G network to Government at all levels because Nigeria will derive huge socio-economic benefits from commercial deployment of the fifth generation (5G) networks. The new networks will come with great potentials that will boost the entire spectrum of Nigeria’s socio economic ecosystem.
- Adoption of 5G network in Nigeria will bring about transformation in the country in the area of smart city, smart transportation, efficiency in medicine as well as a lot of automation in respect of our appliances and devices with respect to Internet of Things (IoT).
- The country will also benefit immensely from the adoption of the network in terms of faster speed, high latency and high capacity that will transform consumer and business experiences because the difference between all other existing generations of technologies such as 2G, 3G and 4G lies in speed and data capacity.
- Provision of good and adequate supply of power will enable the citizenry to enjoy the benefits of 5G network and derive huge socio-economic benefits from commercial deployment of the fifth generation (5G) networks. Therefore, there is need for the Federal Government to intensify its efforts in addressing the power challenges in the country.
- The Federal Government is hereby enjoined to ensure that the cost of 5G compatible devices is affordable to Nigerian so that the citizens can benefit from the new technology
- The Federal Government of Nigeria should declare Information Technology and Telecommunications as a critical national infrastructure to facilitate the success of the national broadband strategy
- Governments at various levels should also intensify their efforts to embrace Information Technology with its attendant potentials of facilitating governance and eradicating corruption in the country
- The complete adoption of Information Technology as well as migration of Government operations from manual to digital will make the country to conform with the benchmark of Government operations in the 21st century
The annual CPN Information Technology Professionals’ Assembly is a yearly gathering of Information Technology practitioners in Nigeria and Diaspora with the objective of discussing and strategizing on emergent issues in Information Technology in order to come out with recommendations and decisions that will impact positively on the industry and the nation.