NIN is National Identification Number and telecoms operators have evolved ways to simplify syncing your mobile numbers to the IDs
NIN is a unique identification number issued by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC). Individuals enroll to obtain the NIN for national identification.
Federal Government through its telecoms regulator, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) , issued December 30th deadline to for oprators to sync mobile numbers to NIN of over 180 million registered lines, the deadline that have now been shifted to February 2021.
To ease the proces in a digitized world, telecoms companies have developed USSD codes to assist mobile users:
Register for NIN
The first step is to register for NIN
- Visit any NIMC’s offices nationwide or check the pre-enrolment portal
- You can also register through other licensed agents
Retrieve NIN Number Using USSD
Having registered for National Identification Number, you may follow these steps to check your NIN number on your mobile.
- Open your phone dialler and dial *346#
- Type ‘1’ to choose NIN Retrieval Option if you are dialling from the phone number you used in registering you NIN.
- Type ‘2’ to choose NIN Search if you have lost your number, you will be required to input some of your registration details
- Once you have retrieved, congratulations
Link NIN Number to MTN, Airtel, 9mobile, Glo
You can link your national identification number on these network operators as follows;
Link NIN to MTN:
Mtn users can link their NIN to their line in any of these three ways
- Online registration portal via https://mtnonline.com/nin
- USSD code: Dial *785# or
- Via myMTNApp, get it on Google Play or Apple Store
- Complete the NIN linking form by entering your name, phone number, NIN, and email address.
- Submit the form as soon as you’re done.
- Wait for feedback from the network
Link NIN to Airtel
- Visit the online registration link via www.airtel.com.ng/nin or
- dial *121*1# on your Airtel line to submit your NIN
- Type 1 for “NIN Capture” and send.
- Enter your 11-digit NIN and send.
- Wait for the message confirming your submission. If you get an error, just wait for some time and try again.
Link NIN to 9MOBILE
For 9mobile users;
- Visit 9mobile.com.ng/nin
- Click on ‘Verify and Link your NIN now’
- Fill the required information and submit
- 9mobile USSD link code will be announced as soon as it is available
Link NIN to Glo:
Glo users can adopt any of these methods to link their NIN number;
- Visit the online registration portal via www.gloworld.com/ng/nin to fill your information and link. Or
- By SMS – type UPDATENIN followed by NIN number followed by Firstname followed by Lastname and send to 109, using the phone number you wish to link (e.g UPDATENIN 12341234123 Amaka Samuel).
*346# is the general NIN retrieval code for all network and this is now free of charge.